Pages

Saturday 4 April 2020

Morning assembly. (School days Part2)

Daily Routine.

Each day at school started with morning assembly which took place in the school hall. Some of the teaching staff would be up on the stage and all the pupils would file in, finally followed in by the headmaster. He was always dressed in his graduation cape but (thankfully) not a mortarboard. We would sing a hymn, a member of staff might read a short lesson followed by prayers.
Then the head would read out any notices, school team successes, perhaps football or netball plus any academic achievements. Once a year this would include the annual prize giving event.
Afterwards the pupils would file out past the headmaster, if your name was called out while passing him, you knew to go to his office and wait there. You also knew you were about to get the cane for misdemeanours he'd seen you commit during assembly.
Daily assembly wasn't something we looked forward to.

It wasn't all bad.

I enjoyed some of my time at senior school and Science lessons were always uplifting. The teacher was great and made it all seem so exciting, so we paid attention and I don't remember anything unpleasant.
Same with the Art class, the art teacher was a lovely man, he seemed quite elderly (probably wasn't) he treat us pupils as equals
and always had encouraging things to say about our work, however poor it might have been. Mine was awful.
Metalwork was a favourite lesson for me, it was all practical working with my hands and using tools. We did forge work, turning things on the lathe and made practical items. I still have a screwdriver I made.
During metalwork and joinery lessons the girls went off to Domestic Science lessons where they learned how to cook, sew and do ironing! Not very PC at all.
The metalwork teacher was ok, very strict but fair, however, he was the teacher that the lady teachers sent boys to for punishment and I often saw him dishing out the cane. Fortunately I never got sent to him for caning.

School uniform.

In the 1950's & 60's all school pupils had to wear a uniform, have polished shoes and look clean and smart. Woe betide anyone arriving at school not conforming to this rule. On one occasion, on my way to school, a car drove through a muddy puddle and drenched my trousers and feet. I rushed home, managed to find a clean pair of trousers but no clean grey school socks, so I put on the whatever I could find. I was just in time for assembly but as I was leaving my name was called out, in a more angry manner than usual, by the headmaster. Off I went to wait by his study with a few other lads. The head dealt with them first then boomed at me “how dare you come to school wearing RED SOCKS”. He'd spotted them as I was exiting the assembly and I got the cane with what seemed to be more effort than usual!

2 comments:

  1. That brings back memories, especially the daily assembly and the graduation capes - though not all of the teachers wore them at my school. Yes metalwork for the boys and domestic science for the girls. Our school motto was Manners Maketh Man. My gosh how times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our school l didn't have a motto, as far as I remember, but you're so right about change.

    ReplyDelete